Wednesday, November 30, 2011

That small squeaky voice inside your head............

"DINGGGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!!"  5.30 AM... And you start wondering and turning neurotic "Oh God ! Who could it be ? Is it a medical emergency ? Who is having a baby ? Is that my alarm ? "


 So when I check my phone I see a blue balloon on my screen with an astrix. And  I go - " Oh who could it be at this hour ?" Most of the days it was Kevin who is back home in Canada. Every time Kevin misses India he  makes it a point to let us know.After all 4 years in Pune had to have some irreparable damage. So every time he smells Butter chicken on the roads , my phone goes - Ding Ding Ding !

But it was not Kevin today :) It was her.

"Do you think I have accomplished something in my life ? With my work ? " she asked.

Now this question has different contexts depending on the time of the day and the concentration of alcohol in the blood. I figured  this wandering thought must have kept her up the whole night and women let me tell you - when they think they are like a ticking time bomb. They can sit right in front of you and stare a hole through you. But unlike the movies where the macho hero wonders if he should cut the red wire or the yellow, you should just let this time bomb diffuse itself. Its very easy for a woman to get back to normal and act as if nothing was wrong but trust me - for a guy the experience could sometimes be like sitting through a root canal without any anesthesia.

Honest to God, I told her what i felt at that moment. I said "No, I think you are on your way but still not accomplished anything. ts this hunt for accomplishment that is pushing you forward,making you work hard,triggering you to take up challenges.Otherwise it is very easy to turn complacent."                          Talking about accomplishments - winning the world cup is an accomplishment,climbing the Everest is another or just getting up an walking ten paces after a horrific accident with rods in your legs is one. Working 12 hours a day, getting home and studying in the dark of the night and delivering milk in the morning, only to pass your graduation with a 40% is also one. Surviving cancer and living to talk about it - look around you and you see a world pumped with gratification.

I guess it all comes down to just being content with your actions. Pushing yourself to test new limits is what we all constantly need to do.And then when you are down and out, say after a 10 km run, a 100 pushups  or holding your mark sheet or your promotion letter, that small tiny voice inside your head ( which has always been there working tirelessly with you) goes - "Yes,you should be proud of yourself"  that's Accomplishment !

Over and Out.

No comments:

Post a Comment